Universe Awareness is one of fifteen projects chosen by WISE for providing compelling and innovative solutions to today’s most pressing challenges in education.
Universe Awareness is delighted to announce it has been named a 2015 WISE Awards Finalist. Inaugurated by Qatar Foundation in 2009, under the leadership of its Chairperson, Her Highness Sheikha Moza bint Nasser, the WISE Awards identify and promote the most innovative and effective approaches to key current global education challenges.
Offering real-world solutions, the WISE Awards Finalist projects represent concrete examples of best educational practices benefitting individuals and communities at large. Addressing a large spectrum of issues in all environments the projects can provide a source of inspiration for others all over the world.
“This year the WISE Awards Finalists again demonstrate how sustainable, creative solutions help overcome barriers to education and transform lives everywhere. These grass roots efforts are having a positive impact on their communities. Our role at WISE is to help disseminate excellence in education on a global scale”, said Stavros N. Yiannouka, Chief Executive Officer of WISE.
Universe Awareness is a pioneer global science education project that uses the beauty and grandeur of the Universe to encourage young children, particularly those from an underprivileged background, to have an interest in science and technology and foster their sense of global citizenship. Universe Awareness involves a network of 63 countries and it is coordinated by Leiden University in the Netherlands.
The WISE Awards Finalist projects, evaluated by a Pre-Jury of internationally recognized education experts, demonstrated innovative thinking and a concrete impact on communities and societies, as well as a potential to be replicated in other contexts and regions.
“Universe Awareness started less than 10 years ago but it has engaged hundreds of thousands of children around the world. The recognition by WISE Awards gives us extra motivation to keep inspiring every child with our wonderful cosmos”, added Prof. George Miley, founder of Universe Awareness.
The six winning projects will be announced in September and celebrated at the seventh World Innovation Summit for Education, November 3-5, 2015, in Doha, Qatar. In addition to publicity and networking opportunities, each will receive $20,000 (US).
The 2015 WISE Awards Finalists:
- Al-Bairaq (http://www.wise-qatar.org/al-bairaq-qatar): Qatar
- Bridge International Academies
- (http://www.wise-qatar.org/bridge-international-academies-kenya): Kenya
- Children’s Video Library in Sign Language
- (http://www.wise-qatar.org/videobooks-for-deaf-children-argentina): Argentina
- Discovering Diversity (http://www.wise-qatar.org/discovering-diversity-australia): Australia
- The Educate! Experience (http://www.wise-qatar.org/educate-experience-usa): USA/Uganda
- The Edible Schoolyard (http://www.wise-qatar.org/edible-schoolyard-usa): USA
- GirlEng - Girls in Engineering Program (http://www.wise-qatar.org/girleng-south-africa): South Africa
- INEE - The Inter-Agency Network for Education in Emergencies
- (http://www.wise-qatar.org/inee-the-inter-agency-network-for-education-in-emergencies-usa): USA
- The Lab on a Bike (http://www.wise-qatar.org/lab-on-a-bike-india): India
- Lights to Learn (http://www.wise-qatar.org/lights-to-learn-spain): Spain/Latin America
- Nafham (http://www.wise-qatar.org/nafham-egypt): Egypt
- NetEase Open Course (http://www.wise-qatar.org/netease-open-course-china): China
- Teacher Changemakers Movement
- (http://www.wise-qatar.org/teachers-changemakers-movement-uk): UK
- The Talking Book Program (http://www.wise-qatar.org/talking-book-program-usa): USA
- Universe Awareness, UNAWE
- (http://www.wise-qatar.org/universe-awareness-unawe-the-netherlands): Netherlands
About the WISE Awards: Each year the WISE Awards recognize and promote six successful innovative projects that are addressing global education challenges. Since 2009, WISE has received more than 2,000 applications from over 140 countries. Thirty-six projects have been recognized around the world from a variety of sectors for their innovative character, their positive contribution and for scalability and adaptability. The six winning projects will be announced in September and celebrated at the seventh World Innovation Summit for Education, November 3-5, 2015, in Doha, Qatar
About the World Innovation Summit for Education (WISE): Qatar Foundation, under the leadership of its Chairperson, Her Highness Sheikha Moza bint Nasser established the World Innovation Summit for Education in 2009. WISE is an international, multi-sectoral platform for creative thinking, debate and purposeful action. WISE has established itself as a global reference in new approaches to education. Through both the annual Summit and a range of ongoing programs WISE is promoting innovation and building the future of education through collaboration. WISE 2015 will take place 3-5 November in Doha.